Re: NetBSD-6.0_Beta - No X11 with Xen

On Mon, 09 Apr 2012 17:11:35 -0500
eric%cirr.com@localhost (Eric Schnoebelen) wrote:

> [copied to port-xen%netbsd.org@localhost, where more of the Xen gurus may
> see this.]
>
> Sad Clouds writes:
> - Hi, I've set NetBSD-6.0_Beta amd64 port. I use the following
> - in /boot.cfg to load Xen:
> -
> - menu=Xen3:modules enabled;load /netbsd-XEN3_DOM0;multiboot /xen.gz
> - dom0_mem=1024M console=vga -- console=pc
> -
> - On boot I have /etc/rc.d/gdm run to start display manager. For some
> - reason it doesn't come up with Xen, i.e. process is running but
> there
> - is no X11.
>
> Have you checked /var/log/Xorg.0.log, to see what it might have
> to say?
>
> - This used to work on NetBSD-5.1 simply with
> -
> - menu=Xen3:load /netbsd-XEN3_DOM0;multiboot /xen.gz dom0_mem=1024M
> -
> - I've been playing around with console= parameters, but just can't
> get
> - it to work. Any ideas?
>
> I suspect that the XEN3_DOM0 kernels no longer allow the mapping
> of the frame buffer space.  I see the same thing trying to use
> the xen hypervisor and 6.0_BETA XEN3_DOM0 kernels on my laptop.
> (the laptop hasn't been able to boot a generic kernel since
> somewhere in 4.99.?? days. The hypervisor provides enough
> abstraction that all works when using a XEN3_DOM0 kernel.)
>
> Curently, the above laptop is running 5.99.52. I have a newer kernel
> on there (5.99.62), but I don't remember if X worked with it or
> not.
>
> When attempting to start X on the 6.0_BETA kernel, I see the
> radeonhd driver attempting to map memory space to read the BIOS
> of the card, and failing.  I wonder if XEN3_DOM0 has lost
> ''options INSECURE'' at some point, causing X to fail to load.
> (aka, defaulting to ''kern.securelevel = 1'', which would
> prohibit applications from direct memory access, and thus the X
> server from manipulating the PCI frame buffer.)
>
> I hope this helps,
>       Eric

Hmm...

atom510$ pwd
/opt/src/sys/arch/amd64/conf
atom510$ grep 'INSECURE' XEN3_DOM0
options         INSECURE        # disable kernel security levels - X
needs this atom510$

well two more bits of info in case someone knows what is going on:

1. X11 was built and installed from pkgsrc, and not from NetBSD base
system. Are there specific Xen patches in NetBSD X11 source tree??

2. The only interesting info in log file I see is

(II) LoadModule: "int10"
(II) Loading /opt/pkg/lib/xorg/modules//libint10.so
(II) Module int10: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
        ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 5.0
(II) VESA(0): initializing int10
(WW) VESA(0): remove MTRR a0000 - c0000
(WW) VESA(0): remove MTRR c0000 - 100000
(EE) VESA(0): V_BIOS address 0x0 out of range
(II) UnloadModule: "vesa"
(II) UnloadModule: "int10"
(II) Unloading /opt/pkg/lib/xorg/modules//libint10.so
(II) UnloadModule: "vbe"
(II) Unloading /opt/pkg/lib/xorg/modules//libvbe.so
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

I'm not quite sure what to make of it...