Re: Require reboot after changing network settings?

On 16 March 2012 12:10, Mayuresh <mayuresh%acm.org@localhost> wrote:
> After changing network settings, such as switching the interface from wifi
> to ethernet or changing the ssid/encryption key settings, I find that
> network restart doesn't help. The changes come into effect only on next
> reboot.
>
> What is the way to apply changed network settings without having to
> reboot?

If you are using wpa_supplicant, you may have to restart it as well (I
don't see it done by the network script) or run "wpa_cli reconfigure".
I often change my laptop between different networks using dhcpcd - all
the WiFi networks I have ever been connected to stay there, together
with a few wired networks for which I predefine an IP address
depending on arping; in cases where the laptop should be connected to
a wired network and a WiFi to which a key is available, I just stop
wpa_supplicant ( I do this anyway when I use wired connection because
of the too many syslog messages).

Manually changing the default gateway, DNS/NIS servers etc. also is
working when I need it.

BTW I tend to run only -current.

--
----