Re: Building up a new *user* wiki!

Am 17.02.2012 19:02, schrieb Julian Djamil Fagir:
Hi,

the current situation is that there is no user wiki for about 1 1/2 years,
and no central place where to gather documentation by users. Have e.g. a look
at this thread:
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-users/2012/01/06/msg009790.html
This is a great lack for NetBSD, and with a 6.0 release coming some time, a
user wiki is nowadays imho a must-have of every larger Open Source project.

I had a small talk with schmonz in irc (he's developing wiki.netbsd.org), and
I finally got the "permission" I wanted to do something about the wiki
situation.

My goals for the wiki:
  * Make it as migratable as possible, in the best case, provide scripts for
    migrating to ikiwiki in advance once wiki.netbsd.org is in order.
  * Have it as technical as possible, i.e. not the typical shiny user wiki,
    but a syntax that is as close to usual mail formatting as possible. This
    is accomplished by e.g. Trac, Redmine, Fossil, MoinMoin.
  * It should be well-ordered from the beginning on and not overloaded with
    features that won't ever be used.

Now, the main question remaining is:
Which is the wiki software to go for? ikiwiki would be the one you could
migrate as easy as possible to the NetBSD wiki when it is ready.
Then there is Redmine, which is a nice project management tool, but very
focused on its ticket system and in parts needs JS. Trac and MoinMoin are
also nice for that purpose, but not that easy to set up. You need a
webserver and the wiki itself needs a setup, too.
My personal favourite would be Fossil. Though it's originally a VCS, you can
set it up as a wiki and everybody can clone it. But the wiki is not that
powerful, and you would have to build a small script or procedure for people
to register.

I don't want the wiki to be *my* project, I want to have as many people
helping as possible - not only with the documentation, but especially with
the organization, administration/moderation and initial setup and gathering
ideas.
I will completely take care of the technical side.
If somebody is willing to take over the project and finalize it in time, I'd
be happy to hand it over (or at a later point).

The one wiki system that really is usable is mediawiki.