Re: NetBSD 5.1-amd64 fails to boot in QEMU

On 3 February 2012 15:11, Manuel Bouyer <bouyer%antioche.eu.org@localhost>
wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 11:44:01PM +0000, Chavdar Ivanov wrote:
>> I found myself with some spare cycles on a reasonably decent Xeon
>> server running XenServer 6.
>>
>> NetBSD fully virtualized mode is probably a non-starter. There is a
>> long-standing problem with the interrupt timer on the emulated RealTek
>> network hardware, one gets timeouts all the time and the performance
>> is abysmal. There have been some patches along the way which to the
>
> this is the re(4) driver. If you disable it (either with boot -c,
> or building a new kernel) and let it use rtk(4), it works fine.

I read that , but am not sure how to switch the emulation to rtk in
XenServer 6. Anyway, in PV mode it seems to work better, although I
had several occasions in which under load it stops any network access,
ifconfig down/up does not cure it and has to be rebooted from the
console (but that is a different matter, of course).

> --
> Manuel Bouyer <bouyer%antioche.eu.org@localhost>
>     NetBSD: 26 ans d'experience feront toujours la difference
> --

Chavdar Ivanov

--
----