Re: wip/libreoffice or misc/openoffice?

herbert langhans <herbert.raimund%langhans.com.pl@localhost> writes:

> On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 08:56:02PM +0530, Mayuresh wrote:
>> I am confused between these two choices available in pkgsrc.
>>
>> Which of them is advisable for an average desktop user? What are pros and
>> cons of both?
>>
>> Mayuresh.
>
> If I remember correctly, there will be no further releases for Open
> Office - it was maintained by Sun Microsystems. But Libre Office is the
> open source project what is supposed to continue with the project.

Not quite.

Sun owned Open Office, more or less
Oracle bought sun.
Many contributors formed Libre Office:
  http://www.libreoffice.org/about-us/
under the aegis of a new nonprofit, "Document Foundation"
  http://www.documentfoundation.org/

Then, openoffice is becoming an apache project:
  http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/

Interestingly, openoffice/apache is under the apache 2 license.
Libreoffice is under LGPL3.

I won't say too much more, except that reading a bit shows that the
situation is far more complicated than you would have first thought:

http://twit.tv/show/floss-weekly/165?page=1
http://ebb.org/bkuhn/blog/2011/06/01/open-office.html
http://blog.documentfoundation.org/2011/06/01/statement-about-oracles-move-to-donate-openoffice-org-assets-to-the-apache-foundation/
http://www.itworld.com/it-managementstrategy/212949/has-ibm-kicked-openofficeorg-curb

So for pkgsrc, it seems there should be entries for both, at least for
now, with each updated by those who choose to volunteer to do so, as
with everything else.