Re: Missing dependency in emulators/vice?

On Wednesday, November 09, 2011 10:49 AM, "Anders Lindgren"
<ali%df.lth.se@localhost> wrote:
> Just built emulators/vice from the latest pkgsrc 2011Q3 on
> 5.1_STABLE/amd64, and get the following link errors:
>
> /usr/pkgsrc/emulators/vice/work/.buildlink/lib/libcairo.so: undefined
> reference to `pixman_image_set_destroy_function'
> /usr/pkgsrc/emulators/vice/work/.buildlink/lib/libcairo.so: undefined
> reference to `pixman_image_composite32'
> /usr/pkgsrc/emulators/vice/work/.buildlink/lib/libcairo.so: undefined
> reference to `pixman_image_fill_boxes'
>
> I have "gnome" in PKG_DEFAULT_OPTIONS, so vice is built with gui
> option "gnome", which pulls in cairo via x11/gtk2/buidlink3.mk. Cairo
> was built with libpixman, but looking at the vice link commandline,
> there is indeed no -lpixman in the link.
>
> Is something missing in the buildlink3 machinery to say that whatever
> links with cairo needs to link with pixman, or am I looking down the
> wrong road here? (I have absolutely no understanding of the pkgsrc
> Makefile machinery, just trying to figure out what's going wrong here)

This looks a lot like the pixman upgrade glitch from last fall (early
September, look for a thread titled "travails of the pixman upgrade").
Those symbols were added to a more recent version of pixman than the one
that ships in the base system of NetBSD-5, and if the build tries to
link against the base system libpixman instead of the pkgsrc libpixman
you get exactly those kinds of errors.  I *thought* that this issue had
been rooted out a year ago though ...

Questions:
- Are you using xsrc or modular X?
- Have all your packages been built from 2011Q3, or might you have some
  older packages lying around?
- Does moving /usr/X11R7/lib/libpixman-* into a temporary directory
  (hiding them from the build) allow emulators/vice to build properly?
  This isn't a fix, but it will help narrow down the problem.

-- IDL