Re: Authenticated Email (TLS?)

On 6 Nov 2011, at 13:44, Paul Goyette wrote:
> I'd like to enable authentication on my NetBSD mail server so I can send mail
> from the account using my smart phone.

That would be SMTP authentication, not TLS (Transport Layer Security). I would
however recommend to configure both because it will make sure that nobody can
eavesdrop on your e-mail if you use a mobile network or a public WiFi.

>  I think that all I need is to get the mail/dovecot package

You should really use the "mail/dovecot2" package.

> installed and running (plus some changes to postfix configuration), but the
> instructions are rather lengthy and intimidating.

Which instructions did you look at? The instructions in the Dovecot Wiki are
IMHO quite simple:

http://wiki2.dovecot.org/HowTo/PostfixAndDovecotSASL

> Does anyone have any "quick start" info they could share?

See above.

        Kind regards

P.S. This all works with the Postfix in base. You don't need the "pkgsrc"
version.

--
Matthias Scheler                           http://zhadum.org.uk/