java error

I am trying to run some java code on a box running NetBSD/i386
v5.1_STABLE with sun-jre6-6.0.26 from pkgsrc.  However, I am getting
the following error:

     java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: unable to create new native thread

I am wondering if this is a result of too little memory, as might be
implied by the exception, or if it could be a threading and/or java
instability issue.  If the former, is there any way to discover what
memory resources are needed and how does one tune that?  If the
latter, should I be looking at different JREs and if so which?

Any help is welcome.

Thanks alot.

Cheers,
Brook