Re: Re (2): NetBSD vs FreeBSD

On Wed, 03 Aug 2011 08:52 -0800, peasthope%shaw.ca@localhost wrote:
> From:   Johnny Billquist <bqt%softjar.se@localhost> Date:   Wed, 03 Aug 2011
> 12:16:10 +0200
> > I understand the experience, but the reason behind it is the total
> > opposite, I'd say. The disk labeling system in NetBSD is the more
> > flexible of the two. But that comes with an added complexity.
> >
> > However, the complexity arise from the fact that there is another
> > partitioning scheme as well (for PC systems). ... ... ... Total
> > freedom. Total flexibility.
>
> Helpful explanation.  If not in formal documentation already, it
> should be.

I'd add that NetBSD behaves consistently everywhere (or at least tries
really hard), including quite a few platforms that don't have DOS-style
MBRs on their disks.  The price you pay for cross-platform consistency
is occasional failure to conform to the local conventions of particular
platforms.  Whether consistency within the OS is more or less important
than consistency with other OSen on particular hardware is a matter of
taste.

Ian Leroux