Re: NetBSD vs FreeBSD

,--- I/Alex (Tue, 02 Aug 2011 15:33:06 -0400) ----*
| | The poster says that NetBSD is faster.
|
| Since it was in response to my explorations: no offense to the NetBSD
| users and developers, but after trying to use NetBSD for a while, I
| had to turn back to FreeBSD, completely.

On the topic of the "vs".

A huge difference between Net* and Free* is the disk labeling and
partitioning schemas: I spent innumerable hours learning the
subtleties of the NetBSD partitioning and had to modify the labels by
hand setting four OSes on one system: i386 and amd64 of each NetBSD
and FreeBSD.  NetBSD partitioning felt unbelievably complex and
inflexible compared to the FreeBSD.  A new install of NetBSD on a disk
was practically a guaranteed way to disable or blow away an existing
FreeBSD installation, wherever a FreeBSD has never done any damage to
anything already on the disk in my long use of it.

And on the laptop side:  Nvidia builds drivers for Linux and FreeBSD.  I
am not sure it does that for NetBSD.

Just summarizing my experience.

-- Alex -- alex-goncharov%comcast.net@localhost --