Re: Shutdown

On 07/23/11 01:04, Clark Chapman wrote:
[---]
> If I enter 'shutdown -p now' the system goes to the message 'acpi0:
> Entering state 5' then the system freezes, the power button doesn't work
> and I have to turn off the power supply.
> To complicate matters sometimes everything works perfectly.

   I have a machine which I installed soon after 5.0 was released, which
I was been able to "shutdown -p now" cleanly until very recently -- when
it exhibited the hanging symptom you describe. However, it's been
consistently hanging like that ever since it happened the first time.

   The only change to my system is that I bought some new USB disks
which sometimes hang for a while, and cause dmesg messages of this type:

sd0: pack is stopped, restarting...

   Other than that, I've only done pkgsrc updates -- no kernel changes
or hardware changes.

--
Kind regards,
Jan Danielsson