Re: builtin httpd + pub dirs = snafu

On Jun 21, 2011, at 10:52 PM, Eric d'Halibut wrote:
> I want the included (with the distro) httpd to read users' public_html
> dirs. The man page suggests 'public_html' is the default for
> translating /~user/ e.g. to /home/user/public_html.

Yes.  This depends on having userdir module loaded and enabled, via something
like [1]:

LoadModule userdir_module libexec/apache2/mod_userdir.so

<IfModule mod_userdir.c>
    UserDir public_html
</IfModule>

<Directory /home/*/public_html>
    AllowOverride FileInfo AuthConfig Limit
    Options MultiViews Indexes SymLinksIfOwnerMatch IncludesNoExec
</Directory>

> So, for a typical user, let's call him "Bob," I have a
> /home/bob/public_html/index.html file set up.
>
> httpd complains however:
>
> -snip-
>   404 Not Found
>
>   ~bob/index.html:
> This item has not been found
> -snip-
>
> Thoughts, anyone?

Is the entire path to the file accessible to the user httpd runs as?
What does the server error log say?

Regards,
--
-Chuck

[1]: "the distro" doesn't translate into a specific version # the way "httpd
-v" does.