root file system type: msdos

Hi,

I had to move a (3.1/i386) system to another drive last night.
Since most of this is mundane work, I made the mistake of
thinking I could do it while over-tired.  <:-(

fdisk /dev/wd1
  set partition 0 to active, type 169, etc. install boot code
disklabel -e /dev/rwd1
  set up 8 partitions (a = root, c = netbsd, d = physical disk)
newfs /dev/rwd1[aefgh]
mount /dev/wd1a on /mnt
create mount points on /dev/wd1* and mount under /mnt
copy everything from wd0 to wd1
installboot /dev/wd1a /mnt/usr/mdec/bootxx_ffsv1

(I may have misremembered some of these details as I am
trying to recall purely from memory)

I then pulled the old wd0 and replaced it with the new drive
(which had been wd1).

Boot ran as expected *until* "root filesystem type: msdos" (!)
Thereafter, it hung.  Being too tired to troubleshoot it, I
opted, instead, to crash.

I recall having this problem before and can't find my notes
as to what I did wrong.  (I keep a paper log book so grep(1)
isn't much help  :-/ )

My first thought was the partition type was incorrect (169).
But, I verified that this morning.  Where do I look next?

Thanks!
--don