Re: i386 home firewall/router/nat bottleneck diagnostics?

On Mar 24, 2011, at 5:31 PM, wrote:
> Something else I noticed with ifconfig:
>        enabled=0
>        address: 00:1b:21:94:ff:8d
>        media: Ethernet autoselect (1000baseT
> full-duplex,flowcontrol,rxpause,txpause)
>        status: active
>        inet netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast
>        inet6 fe80::21b:21ff:fe94:ff8d%wm0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
> Apparently I have some hardware capabilities on these cards I do not have on.
> Would turning these on help?

Enabling hardware checksum support is almost always helpful.  Enabling TSO
seems to be a lot more of a hit-or-miss situation, depending a lot on whether
you are running at 100 or 1000Mb/s, how much data is being written to the
network at a time, and so forth.

> If so, how would I do that?

ifconfig wm0 ip4csum-tx ip4csum-rx [ ... ]