Re: 2 Questions: Static building: How is it done? / A.out unsupported?

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 12:40:13AM +0000, ov3runity wrote:
> while trying building 5.1 amd64 ...
[...]
> The secound question refers to the a.out executable format.

"a.out" was never supported for NetBSD/amd64. I don't even believe that
anybody ever defined "a.out" for amd64/x86_64. Linux and Solaris use
ELF just like NetBSD, Darwin (Mac OS X) uses its own Mach-O format.

I don't know whether "a.out" works for other ports but I seriously
doubt it as nobody has maintained it in a long time. It is
only used for kernels and/or boot loaders these days. And in these
case the build creates an ELF binary which afterwards converted
to "a.out".

        Kind regards