Re: Boot (i386) hangs in absence of video hardware [solved]

Hi Greg,

On 3/6/2011 4:03 PM, Greg Troxel wrote:

   I will probably grab the "last" (which may yet be in
   the future?) 5.x release (thinking it to be the most
   stable?) and not follow the 6.x branch.  That will
   give the rest of the application time to "settle in"
   without changing the underlying system.  And, postpone
   the effort of having to rebuild the various packages
   that the application relies upon.

The "netbsd-5" branch is very stable.  You can just check that out and
build it.  Or just run 5.1.

I've found virtually *all* releases to be "very stable"  :>
(well, 0.8 was a bit finicky but that was to be expected)

I recall installing 5.0 when it was first released and
discovered too many changes in X userland for me to
port everything "painlessly" (i.e., without spending
considerable time sorting out what the problem was).
And, since it was a ".0" release, I figured I could
afford to watch and see  :>

   It will also give me some time to see how these boxes
   behave (since I have no "uptime" experience with them
   at all).  The fxp(4) warning is ominous so I will
   have to check to see what inspired that (since I
   can't replace NIC's in these boxes, this could be an
   eventual deal-breaker).

I suspect things will be ok.  The culture here is to warn even for small
risks.

<frown>  Dunno.  I started doing some work with the box and
notice network performance has been pretty crappy (as if
it was a 10Mb interface).  Since the previous box (now
passed on to the recyclers) did not have this problem,
I suspect something in this particular configuration
(new and old both used fxp(4)) is "not quite right".

Of course, this probe message nags at me as something
to be explored...  But, I will admit that I haven't even
taken the time to check The Obvious Things.  :-/

(OTOH, I think I still have a few devices to configure
to get the kernel completely in sync with the hardware)

--don