Re: Is it safe to run tcpdump?

On Sat, Mar 05, 2011 at 04:10:18AM -0800, erikmccaskey64 wrote:
> Is it safe to always run tcpdump on the server, e.g.: like this:
>

> tcpdump -qn dst net 192.168.1.0/24
>

> I need it to "audit the network" .. :\

Short answer:
No.

Long answer:
Yes, it is usually safe. But there are a few risks:

1.) Using "tcpdump" without the "-p" option will very likely disrupt
    your network traffic for a few seconds.

2.) Using "tcpdump" will slow down your server which might cause problems.

3.) There is always chance of a software bug. "tcpdump" had bugs in the
    past (and possibly still has) where it could be crashed by malformed
    packets. That risk affects all packet capture applications. Wireshark
    had a huge number of such bugs in the past.

        Kind regards