Re: How can I configure my OpenOffice and Xserver to speak the same language?

On Sat, 05 Feb 2011 20:54 +0100, "hans dinsen-hansen"
<hansdinsenhansen%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 7:25 PM, Ian D. Leroux
> <idleroux%fastmail.fm@localhost> wrote:
> > On Sat, 05 Feb 2011 19:08 +0100, "hans dinsen-hansen"
> > <hansdinsenhansen%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
> >> I am running NetBSD 5.1 (GENERIC) (amd64) and I have built packages
> >> with sources from 2010Q4.
> >>
> >> I have problems with OpenOffice3. ÂI try to start it with:
> >> pluto:dino {101} soffice  I18N: Operating system doesn't support
> >> locale "en_US"

> > Can you report the output of runing
> > $ locale
> > in the terminal from which you launched openoffice?
>
> The output tells me that all LC_?? are "C" except LC_ALL, which is
> empty. i.e. LC_ALLl=""

I assume that LANG is also empty?

> Thanks, but what is your suggestion:  Should I set the locale in the
> environment during the build? Or could I somehow tell the Xserver what
> my locale is.  I hve not found a place in the make-files.

I'm a little perplexed as to where OO is picking up the en_US locale
from, if it's not getting it from the environment. The locale at build
time should be irrelevant.  It's the locale environment variables at run
time that should matter.  Maybe try
$ export LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
before running OO and see if that changes anything?  Also, just to
confirm,
is OO the only software you have this problem with?  Everything works ok
in an xterm?

> B.t.w.  I saw your problem with emacs.  And I'm so happy that I use vi
>         for editing.  I'm too old for emacs.  (I've passed my "three
>         score and ten several years ago).

Heh.  I generally prefer nvi myself, but emacs has a nicely portable
software ecosystem that I'm starting to appreciate, including a decent
editor (viper-mode is actually a faithful vi implementation in elisp),
mail client (wanderlust) and environment for writing physics papers
(auctex).  So I end up using both a lot.

Back to the task at hand: another thing to try might be changing to a
different layout like
$ setxkbmap us -variant intl
This will still let you try dead keys for testing and still let you type
the danish special characters (though not necessarily in the way you're
used to, for instance à is AltGr-L in us-international) and would help
rule out that this is a problem with the dk xkb layout.

Ian Leroux