Re: Build breakage on netbsd-5, now Results of new NetBSD-5.1_STABLE

> > So you can choose the quit option from the window manager's menu, or if
> > it isn't there, you can just kill it. You're operating without a wm
> > then, which is a bit awkward - avoid having too many windows when you do
> > it. If they overlap you can't change them. Then you can just start a new
> > wm from an xterm prompt.

> A number of window managers have explicit mechanisms for invoking others.
> At one point, I had this as a submenu item in my .twmrc file:

> Menu "exitwm"
> {
        "fvwm"          f.startwm "fvwm"
        "wmaker"        f.startwm "wmaker"
        "pwm"           f.startwm "pwm"
        "twm"           f.startwm "twm"
        "xfce4wm"       f.startwm "xfwm4"
        ""              f.nop
        "Exit"          f.quit
> }

>                --Steve Bellovin, http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb

How do I kill a window manager currently running, when such is not in the menu?

killall -9 twm # or whatever window manager is involved?

I have done killall -9 seamonkey-bin when (Mozilla) Seamonkey became frozen.

Some window managers, but not all, have menu options to start another window
manager, including sometimes window managers that are not installed on the
computer, or nonworking window managers.

Is f.startwm part of twm, and could I create such a thing for a window manager
that has no such facility?

Problem in my case is that after I exit X, text console is all dark: I never
saw anything like that in Linux or FreeBSD.

Tom