Re: Monitoring bandwidth utilization with/on NetBSD

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 3:10 PM, Chris Ross <cross+netbsd%distal.com@localhost>
wrote:

>  I have a few NetBSD systems of multiple architectures, including a gateway
> machine at the edge of a few LANs.  That edge host is running netbsd-5, and
> using ipfilter.
>
>  Is there an easy way, either within ipf, or with a package in pkgsrc, to
> get reports on the amount of network traffic used, ideally on a
> per-IP-address basis?  I want both to know how much bandwidth I'm using on a
> whole, and which of the machines behind the edge router machine are using
> how much of it.  Various time-slicing options would be useful too, but
> mostly I need large-scale (per day/week/month) numbers, not momentary
> numbers.
>
>  A little google searching didn't show an obvious answer, but I apologize if
> I didn't search long enough and missed something I should've been able to
> find on my own.

I suppose it's a good time to plug collectd.  http://www.collectd.org/
 http://www.collectd.org/wiki/index.php/Table_of_Plugins

Also check make show-options in wip/collectd if you find a plugin that
would want to try.

I'm monitoring my interface utilization no problem, but getting bw for
each client would be a little unique.