Re: Memory leaks/bugs verification

On Mon, Jan 03, 2011 at 06:21:09PM +0200, Aleksey Cheusov wrote:
> > Are there any frameworks used by NetBSD developers to verify that
> > userlevel programs are free of memory leaks? I'm thinking about
> > something like dmalloc, or Solaris libumem, etc.
> It is not clear what you mean by saying "framework",
> but wip/lmdbg and devel/electric-fence work find on NetBSD.
>
> ccmalloc and dmalloc may work too, but I'm not sure.

I had difficulties with electric-fence, but boehm-gc---even if memory
leaks are not its primary goal---has worked for NetBSD compiled
programs.

But to use it, the source (in my case the whole KerGIS system) must be
sufficiently organized so you can insert the headers at the articulation
of the code: after external dependencies, before internal stuff. And
since boehm is a garbage collector, some acrobatics with memory, even if
legitimate if one knows what one is doing, can cause some problems. But
that's another story.

HTH,
                      http://www.kergis.com/