Re: file system with no gratuitous writes?

On Sun, Jan 02, 2011 at 04:42:27PM -0500, Steven Bellovin wrote:
> I'm building a compact flash-based system for a Soekris box.  I'd like to
> set it up so that there are no write operations that are not specifically
> initiated by the administrator.

Slightly off-topic, but I have always wondered how necessary all this
trouble really is? Has anyone managed to actually kill or wear off a CF
card due normal operating system disk activity? I have one Soekris running
on a CF card for over five years now with only /var/log mounted on tmpfs.

- Jukka.