Re: NetBSD bootloader randomly boots wrong kernel

On May 19,  9:05pm, Johnny Billquist wrote:
} On 2010-12-27 13:32, Sad Clouds wrote:
} > Hi, I'm running NetBSD-5.1 on x86_64, I have the following kernels under /
} >
} > /netbsd
} > /netbsd.old
} >
} > I was supposed to delete /netbsd.old, but forgot about it. I recently
noticed that NetBSD bootloader would occasionally boot /netbsd.old kernel, even
though it has not been set up to do so.
} >
} > atom$ cat /boot.cfg
} > menu=Boot normally:boot netbsd
} > menu=Boot single user:boot netbsd -s
} > menu=Disable ACPI:boot netbsd -2
} > menu=Disable ACPI and SMP:boot netbsd -12
} > menu=Xen:load /netbsd-XEN3_DOM0 console=pc;multiboot /xen.gz dom0_mem=1024M
} > menu=Drop to boot prompt:prompt
} > default=1
} > timeout=5
} >
} > The reason why I know it boots /netbsd.old is by looking at logged kernel
messages, which tell you the date when the kernel was built
} >
} > This is /netbsd kernel:
} > NetBSD 5.1_STABLE (GENERIC) #0: Mon Nov 29 19:52:01 GMT 2010
} >
} > This is /netbsd.old kernel
} > NetBSD 5.1 (GENERIC) #2: Fri Nov 19 11:28:39 UTC 2010
} >
} > Can anyone explain why my bootloader does this??
}
} What bootloader are you using? The netbsd /boot do not use any .cfg
} file. (Or did something change recently?)

     If by recent, you mean three years ago, then yes something changed
recently:

        i386, amd64: Add support for boot.cfg(5) to configure the bootloader.
                This includes optionally displaying menus, altering banner
                text and changing options such as timeouts and console device
                which previously required use of installboot.
                [sborrill 20071120]

}-- End of excerpt from Johnny Billquist