Re: Restart services after upgrade

On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 11:54:30PM +0100, Stefano Marinelli wrote:
> Hello everybody,
> sometimes I use to upgrade my pkgsrc packages using the "pkg_rolling-replace
> -u". It works perfectly but sometimes some services start to behave in a
> weird mode because they've been upgraded and not restarted.
> Is there a way to restart those services (or all the services, one per time)
> instead of rebooting the machine?
> Of course I could manually do a "/etc/rc.d/xxx restart" but this involves
> that I should manually check and know which services (and/or deps) have been
> rebuilt.
> Is there a more automatic way?

I'm not sure it that easy to automate. you should restart if you update the
service itself (e.g. apache), but also if you update a dependancy (e.g.
apr-util). To be safe you should stop before starting the update, and start
once update is done.
But there is also cases where you know restarting is not needed.
All in all, I prefer to do this manually.