Re: Matching file to a physical medium

On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 14:49:12 +0100
Sad Clouds <cryintothebluesky%googlemail.com@localhost> wrote:

> Hi, does anyone know if there is a way to match a file to a particular
> physical medium, such as a disk.
>
> With the help of stat(2) I can get st_dev for this file, but st_dev is
> unique for each file system, even if those file systems reside on the
> same physical disk. What I need is something that can uniquely
> identify a physical disk.
>
> Any ideas?

OK never mind, I think there is a better solution:

Let the user partition mounted file systems into zones, this way NFS
mounted file systems can be aggregated into one zone, local file systems
into another zone. Each zone is serviced by a it's own set of threads.

This way asynchronous I/O on slow NFS will not delay I/O on faster
local disks.