CVSUp Distrib/Self Collection

All:

   I was just filling out PR pkg/43960 to add an rc.d/ example
   to pkgsrc/devel/cvsup/

   I wanted to ask:

   Is anyone interested in developing a formal or informal set
   of cvsup daemon supfiles and a matching pkgsrc package?

   Basically matching FreeBSD's ports/net/cvsup-mirror/

   The port simply creates @PREFIX@/cvsup/prefixes with
   @PREFIX@/cvsup/prefixes/distrib.self as a symlink
   to "../" allowing @PREFIX@/cvsup/sup/*, the daemon's config,
   to be self-populated into place on all mirrors.

   It also puts a client supfile in place at PREFIX@/cvsup/supfile
   along with a few other bits.  The supfile has line:

      distrib  release=self prefix=prefixes/distrib.self

   This lets them populate identical, granular cvsup collections
   to all mirrors, official and unofficial:

                $ du -hs /usr/local/etc/cvsup/sup/*
                6.0K    /usr/local/etc/cvsup/sup/cvs-all
                6.0K    /usr/local/etc/cvsup/sup/cvsroot-all
                6.0K    /usr/local/etc/cvsup/sup/cvsroot-common
                6.0K    /usr/local/etc/cvsup/sup/cvsroot-doc
                6.0K    /usr/local/etc/cvsup/sup/cvsroot-ports
                6.0K    /usr/local/etc/cvsup/sup/cvsroot-projects
                6.0K    /usr/local/etc/cvsup/sup/cvsroot-src
                8.0K    /usr/local/etc/cvsup/sup/distrib
                6.0K    /usr/local/etc/cvsup/sup/doc-all
                6.0K    /usr/local/etc/cvsup/sup/gnats
                6.0K    /usr/local/etc/cvsup/sup/mail-archive
                6.0K    /usr/local/etc/cvsup/sup/ports-accessibility
                6.0K    /usr/local/etc/cvsup/sup/ports-all
                6.0K    /usr/local/etc/cvsup/sup/ports-arabic
                6.0K    /usr/local/etc/cvsup/sup/ports-archivers
                6.0K    /usr/local/etc/cvsup/sup/ports-astro
                [...]

  The tricky parts for pkgsrc are:

   1) The designated CVSUP Master defines the absolute path for
      $keywordprefix value in each collection's supfile config:

       For example, within the cvsup "self distrib" on
           cvsup.jp.netbsd.org:

        cvs list=list.cvs prefix=prefixes/NetBSD.cvs \
            keywordprefix=/home/cvsroot super=netbsd

     NOTE: This path can really be arbitrary, but each mirror has
           to symlink it to the proper local path (to CVSRoot)

   2) @PREFIX@/cvsup/prefixes/NetBSD.cvs also has to be a
      symlink to the proper local path (to CVSRoot)

  I know this seems a bit convoluted, but it works well. Also, I
  admit this initiative would be about 10 years too late, but
  I'm preceding with the understanding that CVS will be around
  for a while and bandwidth isn't getting much cheaper.

  Thoughts?

--
Brian A. Seklecki <bseklecki%collaborativefusion.com@localhost>
Collaborative Fusion, Inc.