Balsa + gpgme = "signing failed"

Here's what I have on this 5.0.2 i386 system:

Trying to sign (OpenPGP mode) messages yields:

"Send failed: Message could not be signed
GPGME: signing failed: Bad"

I'm guessing it's "Bad passphrase" that gets clipped in the dialog box.

Google brought me to a page which suggested I place in ~/.gnupg a file
named gpgme.conf containing the following line:

pinentry-program /usr/pkg/bin/pinentry-gtk-2

...but that didn't alter the behavior in question. Another Google
result suggested I move to gpgme 1.2. I haven't tried that.

Anyone have an idea about this?

No no no, my fish's name is Eric, Eric the fish. He's an halibut. I am
not a looney! Why should I be tarred with the epithet looney merely
because I have a pet halibut?