NetBSD Beginners question

Hi, all!

Resume: Question on how to enable IP filter in my newly installed box.

I know this is a very beginner's question, but I'll have to do it.
I can't find specific documentation on NetBSD guide about setting up the
firewall (there is, for sure, how to configure NAT).

Environment: NetBSD running on VirtualPC in WinXP box (I am preparing
environment for a complex scenario envolving high availability PostgreSQL
databases).

When I run:

# ipf -V
ipt: IP Filter: v4.1.29 (396)
Kernel: IP Filter: v4.1.29
Running: yes
Log Flags: 0 = none set
Default: pass all, Logging: available
Active list: 1
Feature mask: 0x10e

I have explicit enabled ipfilter in rc.conf:

# enable ip filter:
ipfilter=YES

But I never get the firewall blocking incoming traffic. My rules are:

# cat /etc/ipf.conf
pass in log on any all
block in log on any all

It's necessary to build a new kernel to do that? Is there no generic kernel
with IPfilter enabled?

Thanks for your help,

Edson.