Re: Removing /etc/nologin on shutdown

On Mon, 24 May 2010 21:39 +0700, "Robert Elz" <kre%munnari.OZ.AU@localhost>
wrote:
> But that never happens when it runs with -h or -r - instead shutdown
> exec's reboot or halt.   Those programs know nothing of /etc/nologin,
> and so cannot remove it.

Ah, that explains it.  Thanks!

> Most likely, shutdown should be removing /etc/nologin immediately
> before it exec's reboot (or halt) - that would leave a race condition
> (it would be possible for someone to log in in the very small gap
> between the unlink and when reboot (or halt) actually does its thing,
> but I doubt that's going to bother anyone very much.

That does seem preferable to me, but then I'm new around here.  For the
moment, I'm quite content to just call shutdown without -h/-r/-p.  If
the behaviour of shutdown isn't to be changed I'd still like to amend
the manual page to something like "The file is removed just before
shutdown exits, unless shutdown was called with the -h, -r, or -p
flags."  Is netbsd-docs@ the right place to ask suggest this, or should
I just send-pr a patch?

Thanks!

Ian Leroux