Re: Garmin Edge 705 and NetBSD?

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 09:34:48AM +1000, Malcolm Herbert wrote:
  | I've been a long-time user of Garmin GPS devices - since 2003 or so I've
  | had an eTrex Vista and more lately a GPS 60.  Both of these devices have
  | a serial interface that I've combined with the pkgsrc garmin-tools
  | package to good effect to download all the tracklog data and produce
  | some maps.
  |
  | Unfortunately I recently trashed my GPS 60 when it fell from my bicycle
  | when riding at around 30kph ...
  |
  | So, I've been looking at the Edge 705 but have discovered that it
  | doesn't have a serial interface, just a USB port[1] and NetBSD doesn't
  | appear to recognise it, nor does it appear in the output of usbdevs.
  |
  | I'm particularly interested in the heart-rate add-on and was wondering:
  |
  | a) whether anyone has gotten this device working under NetBSD and

I just plugged my Edge 705 into my NetBSD 5.0/i386 server, and after
a few seconds where the GPS was "saving history", the following
appeared in dmesg:
  umass0 at uhub3 port 2 configuration 1 interface 0
  umass0: vendor 0x091e product 0x2271, rev 1.10/5.09, addr 2
  umass0: using SCSI over Bulk-Only
  scsibus0 at umass0: 2 targets, 2 luns per target
  sd0 at scsibus0 target 0 lun 0: <Garmin, Edge 705 Flash, 1.00> disk removable
  sd0: fabricating a geometry
  sd0: 485 MB, 485 cyl, 64 head, 32 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 995072 sectors
  sd0: fabricating a geometry
  sd1 at scsibus0 target 0 lun 1: <Garmin, Edge 705 SD Card, 1.00> disk
removable
  sd1: drive offline
  sd1(umass0:0:0:1):  Check Condition on CDB: 0x00 00 00 00 00 00
      SENSE KEY:  Not Ready
       ASC/ASCQ:  Medium Not Present
  sd1: unable to open device, error = 19
(I don't have the MicroSD slot populated.)

fdisk didn't show any partitions, but I was able to mount it with:
        mount -t msdos /dev/sd0d /mnt

        find /mnt/Garmin
        /mnt/Garmin/
        /mnt/Garmin/fs_image.ver
        /mnt/Garmin/gmapbmap.img
        /mnt/Garmin/GarminDevice.xml
        /mnt/Garmin/clm.nvm
                [...]

  | b) whether the heart-rate data is combined with the tracklog data when
  | downloaded.

Yes, the heart rate, cadence, and power data is all combined with
the tracklog data into one .tcx file.
I haven't got a power meter, and I haven't setup my heart-rate monitor
yet, but I do have logs with tracklog+cadence.

  | I get the impression that the 705 is a fairly popular unit, so I'd be
  | surprised if no-one had one working with NetBSD ...
  |
  | I'd be reasonably comfortable changing to different download tools if
  | necessary, but I draw the line at needing to run Windows to run Garmin's
  | download tool which probably also won't record data in a format I can
  | use elsewhere ...

You don't need to use the Windows software to transfer files between
the host and the Edge 705.  You should be able to upload the .tcx
files directly to Garmin's web-enabled data analyser at
connect.garmin.com, which looks more functional than the Windows
application anyway (I haven't used it, but have seen many logs
that friends have uploaded there).

cheers,
Luke.

(We should catchup again; demoing the 705 is just one of many excuses :)