Using pkgsrc's gcc44 & binutils for SSSE3/SSE4.1/SSE4.2/etc support

I'm running NetBSD 5.0.2 on some Intel servers that support SSSE3, and some
AMD servers that support SSE4a.  From what I understand, the binutils
(2.16.1) and gcc (4.1.2) from base don't support those, however the binutils
(2.17) & gcc (4.4.1) from pkgsrc does.

Is there a guide on configuring pkgsrc via mk.conf to use the binutils/gcc
from pkgsrc?  I'm assuming USE_PKGSRC_GCC/GCC_REQD is a start, but what
about binutils?

FreeBSD has a fairly decent guide @
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/articles/custom-gcc/article.html .  Is there a
NetBSD equivalent to this guide?  If there is, my various searches have some
up blank :(.

Thanks for the help!
-Dustin