Re: modifying default PATH

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 9:43 AM, Larson, Timothy E.
<TELarson%west.com@localhost> wrote:
> How can I modify the default PATH for all users?  The daemon user that runs
> xscreensaver when nobody's on the console seemingly does not have
> /usr/pkg/bin, so there are error messages.  With no real shell, I don't think
> /etc/profile applies.
>

> Thanks,
> Tim

Supposedly that is governed in /etc/login.conf.  However, my (default)
version consists of nothing but comments; the comments are nonetheless
illuminating:

# The default values
# Any value changed in the daemon class should be reset in default
# class.
#
#default:\
#       :path=/usr/bin /bin /usr/sbin /sbin /usr/X11R7/bin
/usr/X11R6/bin /usr/pkg/bin /usr/pkg/sbin /usr/local/bin:\
#       :umask=022:\
#       :datasize-max=512M:\
#       :datasize-cur=512M:\
#       :maxproc-max=128:\
#       :maxproc-cur=64:\
#       :openfiles-cur=64:\
#       :stacksize-cur=4M:

This would suggest that user daemon ought to be seeing  /usr/pkg/*bin.
(Actually, login class "daemon".  *user* daemon is not assigned to
any login class in the default /etc/*passwd,  (nor is anyone else).
So I presume user daemon is assigned by default to class "default"
and should see the /usr/pkg/*bin.

Is that a confusing enough use of the word "default"?

I'm looking at 5.0 (stable) updated as of last week.

Seeing your specific error messages, of course, would be a big
help.

Dave
--
teh googlez read my emails 'n' STUFF!!!!  LOLZ!!! urz 2!!! LOLZ!!!