Re: Updating NetBSD binary packages

Peter Bex schrieb:
I don't know about pkg_chk but back when I used binary packages a simple
pkg_add -u <packagename> did the trick.

pkgin is a useful "yum"-like tool that allows you to install packages
and keep them up to date in a somewhat more convenient way.
Both tools only work on packages - that is additionally installed software.

What about updating the NetBSD base system? The NetBSD guide seems to imply that booting from an installation medium is absolutely necessary, but I venture to ask for it nevertheless: Is there any way to update a running system? Can (e.g.) sysinst be installed and run without booting from installation media? Or is there a tool that can fetch updated sets and extract them into place?

Thanks for your patience so far.

Dirk