Re: block device lock difference between netbsd-4 and netbsd-5

On Feb,Monday 1 2010, at 3:09 PM, Brad du Plessis wrote:

> On 1/30/2010 1:38 PM, Adam Hamsik wrote:
>> You can't open block device more than once in netbsd>  5.0. If you need to
>> do it something is wrong with your setup. You can still open raw devices
>> more than once.
>>

> I'd be interested to know the reason why this was changed - any idea?

You should not need to open block device more than once. Because block devices
should only be used for mounting. This change was done in revision 1.112 of
specfs_vnops.c [1].

[1]http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/src/sys/miscfs/specfs/spec_vnops.c?rev=1.112&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup&only_with_tag=MAIN

Regards

Adam.