issues booting a custom 5.0.1 kernel

I've recently built a custom kernel from the content of the 5.0.1
release source files.  Unfortunately although the compile seems to
succeed and I get a kernel that boots, it doesn't successfully hand over
to init and so panics:

:
:
|root on raid0a dumps on raid0b
|root file system type: ffs
|panic: init died (signal 0, exit 1)
|fatal breakpoint trap in supervisor mode
|trap type 1 code 0 eip c056d5dc cs 8 eflags 246 cr2 bbbec03c ilevel 0
|Stopped in pid 1.1 (init) at    netbsd:breakpoint+0x4:  popl    %ebp
|db{0}>

The differences between the GENERIC kernel and this one are that I've
added carp, pf and pflog ... nothing that I would have thought would
have tickled this particular issue ... has anyone seen this before?

This laptop is running an auto-configured RAIDFrame split-mirror where
root is on raid0a, however

Regards,
Malcolm

--
Malcolm Herbert                                This brain intentionally
mjch%mjch.net@localhost                                                left