Re: Are there binary packages for NetBSD 5.0_STABLE available?

> I can't find them. When I try install some binary package it says that
> I'm trying to install for 5.0, but my
> host is 5.0_STABLE, even with -f switch. Compiling from pkgsrc is ok.
> So is there directory for binary packages for 5.0_STABLE
> or not? I can't find it on ftp or some info about it in pkgsrc guide.
>
> Thx for points where to look or what to read

Packages from 5.0 proper should be fully usable on 5.0_STABLE (and of
course 5.0.1 or any follow-ons of that as well).  The reason is that
we try very hard to maintain ABI compatibility for the base system
itself between the different variants resulting from builds along the
netbsd-5 and netbsd-5-0 branches, and also as much as possible
maintain backward binary compatibility with earlier releases as well,
to the extent which is practially possible.

Besides, 5.0_STABLE is a moving target (it corresponds with whatever
is available on the netbsd-5 branch at any time) -- people building
binary packages prefer to use targets which stand still while the
packages are being built. :)

Best regards,

- Håvard