Re: NetBSD on a database server - WAPBL, softdeps

Thor Lancelot Simon <tls%panix.com@localhost> wrote:

> > and keeping in mind softdeps are scheduled to be removed in 6.0
> > (http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-announce/2008/12/14/msg000051.html),
> > what is the recommended configuration, filesystem wise, for a database
> > server running on NetBSD? Wouldn't running with "bare" UFS be too slow?
>
> Why would you expect any benefit from either WAPBL or soft updates on
> a database server?  Databases (or, at least, any database worth using)
> manage their tablespaces independently, generally without creating or
> deleting files in the filesystem -- or doing so very seldom, if at all.

Are you suggesting that long boots after system failure is the option?
I think journaling for larger databases is mandatory.  And advisable for
any other case.

If there are issues with our fsync(), we ought to fix them.  And perhaps
invest some time in optimisations, like Oracle invested time to decrease
fsync() latency on ext3, recently.

--
Mindaugas