Re: NetBSD on an Apple TV?

Jonathan A. Kollasch wrote:
On Tue, Sep 01, 2009 at 02:36:59PM +0100, Chris Wareham wrote:
I'm just about to get my hands on an Apple TV, and was wondering whether
anyone had attempted to install NetBSD on one of these devices. In
principle it should be similar to the Mac Mini, as it has an EFI boot
loader, Pentium M processor, IDE hard drive and a USB 2.0 port.

The EFI on Apple TV requrires all EFI drivers/applications/loaders to
be cryptographically signed by Apple.  (However the OS X bootloader
doesn't have a similar requirements for kernels.)

IMO this is not a hack-friendly platform.

        Jonathan Kollasch

It definitely looks that way. There has been some work at getting a
custom Linux bootloader loaded by the Apple one:

http://wiki.awkwardtv.org/wiki/Linux_on_Apple_TV

But frankly, it doesn't seem to be worth the effort. I think this
particular machine is heading towards eBay.

Chris
--

Chris Wareham
Senior Software Engineer

Tel: +44 (0)20 7234 5848
Fax: +44 (0)20 7234 5753

http://www.visitlondon.com/

Back Englandâs bid to host the 2018 FIFA World Cup. Visit
http://www.england2018bid.com/ and choose London as your favourite host city
when registering your support or Text âLondonâ to 62018

'Visit London Limited' is registered in England under No.761149;
Registered Office: Visit London, 2 More London Riverside, London SE1 2RR.

Visit London is the official visitor organisation for London. Visit London is
partly funded by Partnership, the Mayor's London Development Agency and London
Councils.
The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and intended for the
named recipient(s) only. If you have received it in error, please notify the
sender immediately and then delete the message. If you are not the intended
recipient, you must not use, disclose, copy or distribute this email. The
views expressed in this e-mail are those of the individual and not of Visit
London. We reserve the right to read and monitor any email or attachment
entering or leaving our systems without prior notice.