Re: Script hardware event hooks

Lots of events are logged to /var/log/messages by default, so you can
continually watch it for "attach" and "detach" logging (if your devices
provide that).

But some hardware doesn't have any type of event. I'd like my cd0 at
atapibus0 to give some indication when the tray as been ejected/inserted.
And my following device (as far as I can see) doesn't give me any
indication when I insert a flash card (but it works fine when I mount
sd0e):
        scsibus0 at umass0: 2 targets, 1 lun per target
        sd0 at scsibus0 target 0 lun 0: <Generic-, Multi-Card, 1.00> disk
        removable

The amd automounter doesn't work well for me.

I'd like to extend powerd (or have a tool like that) to watch for hardware
events and run scripts for them. I heard about a "usbwatchd" tool that
watches USB events, a new devfs, a deviced(8) daemon, and HAL.