Need HELP!! w/CVS sitcky tag

I don't know how I created this situation and I can't seem to fix it.

I have the following file:

   : cvs status -v signups.pl
   File: signups.pl        Status: Up-to-date

      Working revision:    1.27
      Repository revision: 1.27
/home/cvs/httpd/ACCRS/Members/programs/signups.pl,v
      Sticky Tag:          1.27
      Sticky Date:         (none)
      Sticky Options:      (none)

      Existing Tags:
           start                           (revision: 1.1.1.1)
           club                            (branch: 1.1.1)

I can't check in a new revision unless I specify "-r 1.28" on the "cvs commit
..."
command.  I have many other files in this repository that work the way I think
they
should (i.e. - don't require -r ...).

I've tried "cvs tag -d 1.27 signups.pl" (which complains that the tag must start
with a letter), "cvs update ..." but, nothing seems to clear the sticky tag.

I'd like to understand where I went wrong BUT, more importantly I'd like to fix

   :cvs commit  -m "Second cut at multiple events" signups.pl
   cvs commit: sticky tag `1.27' for file `signups.pl' is not a branch
   cvs [commit aborted]: correct above errors first!

TIA!!

Paul "CVS idiot at large"