RootDisk One giant slice with / or many slices for / /usr /var ...

Hello List
  I want to know what the list thinks about an old topic now that netbsd has
wabpl . With a new setup on say i386 2g ram and a 500g disk what would be the
downside of one big / slice and a appropriate sized swap slice . I have been
using a 2g /, 8g /var , 2g SWAP, Rest /opt , I like it; it works well for me. I
have been talking about this with a co_worker we are at a stalemate on the pros
and cons of this .