Re: Netbsd 5.0RC2 amd64, system raid fail to reconstruct

On Sat, Mar 21, 2009 at 10:29:37AM +0100, Thomas Galliano wrote:
> I used jibbed liveCD that use netbsd 5.0RC1 amd64
> I did the same thing:
>    - raidctl -A no raid0
>    - raidctl -u raid0
>    - dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rwd1d bs=8k count=1
>    - fdisk -0ua /dev/rw1d
>    - disklabel -R -r disklabel.wd1 wd1
>    - redef raid using an absent component instead of the one out of
> sync (raidctl -C)
>    - raidctl -I 200903201 raid0
>    - raidctl -A root raid0
>    - shutdown -r now
> reboot on the local system Netbsd 5.0RC2 amd64
>    - raidctl -a /dev/wd1a raid1
>    - raidctl -F component1 raid1

If I understand it properly, you rebuild the raid on wd1, leaving wd0
unconfigured. Then your reboot and add wd1 as a hot spare for raid0,
so you're destroying your just-rebuild raid to use the disk as hot-spare
for another raid.

> The reconstruction failed with
> raid0: Recon read failed: 5
>
> raidctl -s raid0 while reconstructing showed me the old raid
> configuration on /dev/wd1a
>
> Then when finished:
> poire# raidctl -s raid0
> Components:
>            /dev/wd0a: optimal
>           component1: failed
> Spares:
>            /dev/wd1a: spare
> Component label for /dev/wd0a:
>    Row: 0, Column: 0, Num Rows: 1, Num Columns: 2
>    Version: 2, Serial Number: 200903201, Mod Counter: 963

Did you use the same Serial Number for old and new raid ? This may
be part of the problem.