Re: 5.0 and raid1 - kernel dump clarification

Greg Oster wrote:

That is correct. (perhaps the wording should be adjusted to make that more clear...)

Thanks Greg, my last query is the working of fstab for this, the guide, at least to me, is unclear here (s16.3.8 of the guide) :

Note that for NetBSD releases prior to 5.0 the kernel crash dumps must not be saved on a RAID device but on a real physical disk (wd0b). This dump area was created in the previous chapter on the second disk (wd1b) but we will make wd0 an identical copy of wd1 later so wd0b and wd1b will have the same size and offset. If wd0 fails and is removed from the server wd1 becomes wd0 after reboot and crash dumps will still work as we are using wd0b in /etc/fstab. The only fault in this configuration is when the original, failed wd0 is replaces by a new drive and we haven't initialized it yet with fdisk and disklabel. In this short period of time we can not make crash dumps in case of kernel panic. Note how the dump device has the “dp” keyword on the 4th field.

# vi /mnt/etc/fstab

/dev/raid0a  /  ffs  rw  1  1
/dev/raid0b  none  swap  sw  0  0
/dev/wd0b  none  swap  dp  0  0
kernfs    /kern  kernfs  rw
procfs    /proc  procfs  rw

My question, with 5.0+, where does the 'dp' go, if anywhere?

My fstab :

# NetBSD /etc/fstab
# See /usr/share/examples/fstab/ for more examples.
#/dev/wd0a              /       ffs     rw               1 1
/dev/raid0a             /       ffs     rw               1 1
#/dev/wd0b              none    swap    sw               0 0
/dev/raid0b             none    swap    sw               0 0
kernfs          /kern   kernfs  rw
ptyfs           /dev/pts        ptyfs   rw
procfs          /proc   procfs  rw
/dev/cd0a               /cdrom  cd9660  ro,noauto

Is there a need with 5.0+ to define wd0b in fstab as a swap partition and a kernel dump site (and the mystery dp)? What should this look like? I'm happy to write an update to the guide on this, but not 'til I know the right way to do it!

thanks again

Carl