Re: Inexpensive, low power, "wall wart" computer

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 08:45:15AM -0700, Herb Peyerl wrote:

> On 25-Feb-09, at 7:48 AM, Rafal Boni wrote:
> >I know Matt Thomas was looking at this and I think I peeked the
> >last time
> >he mentioned it, but the show-stopper for me is lack of network;
> >I'd much
>
> That's why they invented USB ethernet adapters.  For my application,
> I don't need ethernet; just wifi, usb client, rs232.

Yeah, but a mad dangle of usb junk doesn't sound that appealing, and I'm
sure the USB ethernet fobs all perform great *cough*.  For some uses I
can imagine Wifi would be fine, and the mini DLP projector does look
pretty sexy, even if the max resolution leaves a bit to be desired.

> >rather trade off the graphics for networking and/or storage
> >options.  The
> >Sheeva plug looks attractive from that POV.  For in-home
> >applications the
> >'everything wrapped up in a wall wart' form factor is also very
> >attractive.
> >Now if someone would cross-breed the Beagle with the Sheeva plug,
> >that would
> >make for an excellent system... GigE, SATA and graphics wrapped up
> >in a wall-
> >wart package would make for some excellent possibilities :)
>
> "If they could squish a kitchen sink into something the size of a
> keychain, I could wash dishes wherever I went."

You have strange requirements!  OTOH, if you put a beer tap in...
--rafal

--
  Time is an illusion; lunchtime, doubly so.     |/\/\|           Rafal Boni
                   -- Ford Prefect               |\/\/|