Re: Getting ethernet to work

On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 5:50 PM, Arthur Barlow
<arthurbarlow%earthlink.net@localhost> wrote:
> After some struggling, I finally got the "current" kernel to compile.  I
> built a striped down version of GENERIC to MYKERNEL, and everything works,
> except the ethernet driver.  It will not log on via dhcp.  The dmesg says
> the following:
>

> fxp0: at pci1 dev 1 function 0: i82559 Ethernet, rev 8
> fxp0: interrupting at irq 3
> fxp0: May need receiver lock-up workaround
> fxp0: Ethernet address 00:d0:b7:ab:b2:dc
> inphy0: at fxp0 phy 1: i82555 10/100 media interface, rev. 4
> inphy0: 10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, auto
>

> I do not know what the "may need receiver lock-up workaround" means.  I
> assume the problem is in the ethernet driver as opposed to the DHCP startup
> script.  Thanks for the help.

Well, it says "may" for a reason. It doesn't say you "do" have this
problem, you may have it.

What did the DHCP attempt say?

Can you assign a static address and get on the network? You really
should try that and tell us why that doesn't work before stating you
have a problem with your card.

Andy