Re: Why is Desktop NetBSD a threat to NetBSD?

Anyway, hal wants to control the mounting of fixed and removable
drives, and it wants to do that independently of /etc/fstab.  It
wants to use another set of XML config files called
PolicyKit.conf and something else related to sessions and GDM.
The upshot of which is that once hal is working properly (and on
my FreeBSD box it still isn't), I lose the ability to mount things
directly, I have to gnome-hal-mount --some-enormous-command-line
(or get nautilus to do it, which is probably fine, when it
works.)

Even if you accept that that's a reasonable price to pay for a
slick, integrated desktop that doesn't require terminal window
incantations for anything,

I have to pipe up and say that although I'm in favour of making the
desktop work more smoothly and making the installation/patching more
easily usable, I would consider the above too steep a price to pay.

Anne Bennett.