Re: firefox crashing and bad desktop experiences

On Feb 10, 2009, at 3:19 AM, David Brownlee wrote:
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl%beer.org@localhost>

Given a choice, my main desktop is OSX... At work; I have no choice.
A NetBSD desktop is required... I also still use ctwm.. I spent days
trying to get NetBSD to run dual headed on a Matrox G-650. I finally
brought a G-550 from home and it just worked.  Then I fought with
Firefox... I still fight with firefox.. It crashes on me about 5 or 6
times a day... Some sort of xorg "BadAlloc" resource starvation
thing... I don't have a flash plugin and I've tried with noscript; it
still crashes...  I have another NetBSD desktop that I use for one

What NetBSD version? As a quick test if you unlimit before running it does
help?

4.something... I've done the unlimit thing to no avail... 1772 file descriptors.. I haven't gone to FF3 because I'm not paid to spend days setting up pkg_comp and upgrading everything...

So, a netbsd-desktop install which installed gome and a reliable firefox
etc would be of definite benefit for you? :)

I would probably still use ctwm... At another job where I had Fedora, I couldn't take whatever environment it had... but that's just me...

I'm not in either camp on the for/against NetBSD desktop... I'm all for making pkgsrc useful for the non-pkgsrc-developer... I'm also all for making it easy to get X working without messing around with editing xorg.conf; which right now it isn't...