Re: Why is Desktop NetBSD a threat to NetBSD?

On 08/02/2009, Johnny Billquist <bqt%softjar.se@localhost> wrote:
> David Holland wrote:
>
> > The only one of the tasks as such that I have concerns about is the OS
> > branding/boot splash screen thing. However, jmcneill has already told
> > me in so many words that he's not interested in my opinion, and for
> > the time being I don't feel inclined to push any further.
> >

>  For me, a big concern is that focus is moved away from what I'd consider
> core issues to "user experience".
>  From my point of view, NetBSD don't have the resources to do everything
> (and I'm also not interested in everything, but that's another story).
> However, a well functioning, bug free, and well tuned kernel, basic
> libraries and device drivers are what I consider very important. This also
> includes a sane and well functioning build system. A close second is a
> functioning package system.
>
>  I'm saying "bug free" and "functioning". That means for me just that. Ease
> of use isn't neccesary. Nor is "nice looking", quick to set up, or
> self-explanatory.
>
>  It appears to me that we already seem to be lagging in the kernel
> department. And we seem to be shifting focus towards "user experience"
> instead of ironing out the kernel. I know that lots of people find it more
> satisfying (and ego-boosting) to work on user experience, and to get a
> larger user base and recognition for the things they do. But I think that in
> the long run, the looser here is NetBSD itself.

Note that NetBSD is not just the kernel, and that a kernel by itself
is pretty much useless.

I have already downloaded, built, and put into the attic 1-2 fine
kernels that had no userland whatsoever. They are nice but completely
useless, and the task of making some use of them is huge.

NetBSD is lagging *both* in the kernel and the userland. Making more
hardware supported is good but making the already supported hardware
more useful is good too.

There sure are things out of kernel that could make life easier for
many people with relatively little work if somebody manages to push
them into the system.

Thanks

Michal