Re: Why is Desktop NetBSD a threat to NetBSD?

On Sun, Feb 08, 2009 at 10:54:30AM -0500, Jared D. McNeill wrote:
> Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:
> >I do sysinst installs all the time using the "progress bar" setting.
> >It's the right balance between "no feedback" and "so much output
> >it considerably slows installation on modern machines".
>
> Not for sysinst, but for normal booting.

Ah, ok. I can see that this might be useful, and that *I* might want to
turn it off most of the time.

The problem would be to define the percentage in a useful way. [1]
All systems of that kind that I know do the equivalent of twiddle().

Regards,
        -is

[1] Evil idea: save /var/run/dmesg.boot and the first part of the
userland-generated console messages (well, or the size) as reference
on disk, and pipe that output through progress(1) the next time with
the stored value as the target size.