HP LaserJet 1018 and 5.0 RC1 problems

Hi,

I'm trying to use a HP LaserJet 1018 printer with NetBSD 5.0 RC1, but
I'm failing miserably.

The printer will attach as a USB2 printer, but when I try to print anything
to it, the process will just halt. Furthermore, the entire USB controller
seems to be dead; it will no longer respond to connects or disconnects,
and can only be revived using a reboot. No messages are printed on the
console.

When I disable EHCI to force it to use the OHCI companion controller, it will
send the print job, but immediately crash hard with a panic:

fatal page fault in supervisor mode
trap type 6 code 2 eip c0712ffd cs 8 eflags 10246 cr2 0 ilevel 2
kernel: supervisor trap page fault, code=0
Stopped in pid 0.5 (system) at  netbsd:usbd_setup_xfer+0xd:     movl    %edx,0(%
eax)
db{0}> bt
usbd_setup_xfer(0,0,ca97ad94,cb65b000,1000,5,a,c0727060,ca97adc4,d) at netbsd:us
bd_setup_xfer+0xd
ulpt_tick(ca97ad94,0,2,8,2,c0b02ec0,c0b036c8,c0b03ec8,c0b046c8,c0726fe0) at netb
sd:ulpt_tick+0x61
callout_softclock(0,0,30,10,10,0,4e7c80,c126bd00,0,ca8e2da0) at netbsd:callout_s
oftclock+0x14c
softint_dispatch(ca4e7c80,2,0,0,0,0,ca8e2d90,ca8e2b68,c1212380,18) at netbsd:sof
tint_dispatch+0x7c
DDB lost frame for netbsd:Xsoftintr+0x3d, trying 0xca8e2d88
Xsoftintr() at netbsd:Xsoftintr+0x3d
--- interrupt ---
fatal page fault in supervisor mode
trap type 6 code 0 eip c05368f7 cs 8 eflags 10206 cr2 3a ilevel 8
kernel: supervisor trap page fault, code=0
Faulted in DDB; continuing...
db{0}>

Does anyone use USB printers with NetBSD these days? I tried using both
/dev/ulpt0 as well as /dev/ulpn0, but it makes no difference. Host is a
Geode system, running 5.0RC1/i386, but an amd64 system running 4.99.72 has
the same symptoms. Printer works fine with Linux.

--
Martijn van Buul - pino%dohd.org@localhost